- THE LI FOUNDATION FELLOWSHIP OF NEW YORK
to honour the memory of Dr Lu Gwei-djen
A visiting Fellowship tenable at the Needham Research Institute in Cambridge, England, is offered from funds granted by the Li Foundation of New York. The objective of this fellowship is to enable a scholar from mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong or Singapore to conduct research in a subject relevant to the concerns of the Institute, i.e. the history of science, technology or medicine in China. The fellowship funding takes the form of a grant to cover international travel, accommodation, and other expenses.
Applications are invited from (i) PhD students who may apply to visit for a period of up to six months (from October 2012 through March 2013, thereby covering the first two terms of the academic year in Cambridge), and (ii) scholars employed in a full-time position in an academic institution, who may visit for up to 12 months from October 2012.
Strong preference will be given to candidates under the age of 40 who have not previously spent significant periods working outside China, who have a good level of spoken English, and who will use part of their time in Cambridge on work intended for publication in a refereed Western-language academic journal.Candidates are invited to send the following items to the address given below:
1. Curriculum Vitae with a full list of any publications.
2. A research proposal of approximately 1,000 words in length. This proposal should give a clear indication of the source material which the candidate proposes to use in his or her research together with an indication of the methodology to be followed. Candidates are asked to explain why a visit to the UK in general and the NRI in particular would be valuable for their research. While in Cambridge, the successful candidate will be expected to attend the seminars of at least one University department as well as the Institute; candidates should indicate which department is of interest to them.
3. A copy of a certificate of the level of achievement in spoken and written English.
4. Letters of support from two academic referees.
Please note that ALL documentation must be submitted in English.
The closing date for 2012/2013 applications will be Friday 25th May 2012.
Address for applications:
The Institute Administrator,
Needham Research Institute,
8 Sylvester Road,
Cambridge CB3 9AF,
Email: admin[put the "at" sign here]nri.org.uk
Details of the NRI may be found at http://www.nri.org.uk